Deadline to apply: 4th Septmeber
Lamu Environment Foundation (LEF) are a Kenyan registered Company Limited By Guarantee and are looking for a financial officer to manage the day-to-day financial record keeping and accounts management. Ideally, you’ll have a BS in accounting (or similar) and at least 2 years’ experience in managing cash flow, creating budgets and accounting for small organisations. This role will be key in helping us raise more funds for grassroots environmental projects in Lamu County.
LEF was established in 2021 and raises funds from individuals, businesses and grantmakers to support grassroots environmental and conservation projects across Lamu County, Kenya.
LEF funds community-led environmental conservation projects in the following areas:
- Solid Waste Management
- Land Regeneration and Restoration
- Marine Conservation
- Mangrove Conservation
Due to LEF’s focus on community development, all projects have an aspect of continuing education and/or creating sustainable livelihoods.
This is a part time role, likely 1-2 fixed days per week, on a rolling contractual basis. The postholder reports to the Executive Director who is based in Lamu.
- Ensure accuracy of all data required for processing financial transactions to assigned accounts into the QuickBooks financial accounting package
- Record all transactions on QuickBooks promptly
- Reconcile bank statements
- Update internal systems with financial data ensuring all supporting documents are present
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual management accounts
- Manage cash flow in different currencies with detail trail on bank deposits and payments
- Monitor balances on grants payables, accruals and accounts receivables in different currencies
- Assist Executive Director in creating budgets
- Assist Executive Director in applying for grants
- Prepare monthly budget variances reports to discuss with Executive Director
- Project accounting related to grants awards
- Participate in financial audits
- Review and implement financial policies
- Support on the implementation of risk register actions, in particular with donor’ rules regulations and legal requirements
- A member of ICPAK and a BS in Accounting (or similar) preferred
- Good written and spoken English
- A minimum of two years of work experience as a Finance Officer or in a similar role
- Solid knowledge of financial and accounting procedures for non-profits
- Rigorous attention to detail
- Advanced MS Excel skills
- Advanced QuickBooks skills
- Knowledge of accounting standards
- Own your own computer/laptop which can accommodate a MS operating system
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills
- Sharp time management skills
- Strong ethics, honest and with an ability to manage confidential data
- Confident working remotely as part of a small team
- Legally able to work in Kenya
- A passion for environmental conservation is a bonus
To apply, please send your MAX 2 PAGE CV and a cover letter of NO MORE THAN ONE PAGE to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications of more than one page for a cover letter and two-page CV will be disqualified. We will only be contacting successful candidates for interview, and at this stage, will require the contacts of 2 referees who candidate(s) have worked for in the past.