Lamu Environment Foundation (LEF) is looking for a communications manager to grow our small, remote team. The right candidate will be an excellent communicator with an entrepreneurial approach who wants to help address the climate crisis. You’ll have experience in creating and implementing communications strategies for small organisations. This role will be key in helping us raise more funds for grassroots environmental projects in Lamu.
LEF was established in 2021 and raises funds from individuals, businesses and grantmakers to support grassroots environmental and conservation projects across Lamu County, Kenya.
LEF funds community-led environmental conservation projects in the following areas:
- Solid Waste Management – with a focus on plastic and marine litter
- Land Regeneration and Restoration
- Marine Conservation
- Mangrove Conservation
Due to LEF’s focus on community development, all projects have an aspect of continuing education and/or creating sustainable livelihoods.
This is a part-time role, likely 1 or 2 days per week, based in Lamu on a rolling contractual basis. The postholder reports to the Executive Director.
- Draft a minimum of 4 newsletters per year and distribute using MailChimp
- Draft and post regular blogs on LEF website which provides news on grantees programmes and progress.
- Develop relevant and engaging content for posting on our social media platforms: Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter – minimum 3 posts a week.
- Effectively monitor social media analytics and engagement to improve our reach and engagement – within Lamu, Kenya and internationally
- Work with the ED to create brochures and other marketing collateral.
- Occasionally prepare written content for proposals to large institutional donors
- Prepare very brief project reports after visiting grantees, documenting the progress observed, challenges faced and outcomes of the project visit.
- Manage relations with local media for drafting press releases, attending press conferences, interviews with press, radio and local TV.
- Work with ED to produce LEF’s annual report.
- Prepare content as required for local partners.
- Must be living in or based in Lamu
- Good written and spoken English
- Experience of managing social media and producing factually correct and creative content
- A passion for the environment and environmental conservation, and interest in improving your understanding of environmental programming.
- Be able to work independently, results-oriented and manage their time effectively.
- External facing, curious and confident in building trust-based relationships with internal and external stakeholders at all levels.
- Willingness to travel locally to visit programmes.
- Must have own up to date computer software, laptop and mobile phone
- Comfortable with using (or learning to use) MS Office suite, Canva, Trello, Mailchimp.
- Confident working remotely as part of a small team.
To apply, please send your MAX 1 PAGE CV and a cover letter of NO MORE THAN ONE PAGE to email@example.com. Applications of more than one page for a cover letter and one page for a CV will be disqualified. We will only be contacting successful candidates for interview.